Sunday Reading Recommendation: The Birth of the New, The Rewiring of the Old. Carl Zimmer reports on Richard Lenski’s long-duration study of E. coli evolution at his Michigan State lab.
The image of E. coli cells used above was shamelessly ripped from this site, where it was also used for illustration. It is widely reproduced on the internet and lacks attribution everywhere, including - sadly - here.
That was a fun read. The ability of bacteria to rapidly adapt and change (and in the process potentially do some nasty things) is amazing.
- greenpool reblogged this from fatchance
- greenpool likes this
- isli likes this
- liontamersblues likes this
- ideleteme likes this
- pixandum likes this
- textless likes this
- mistercakesphotoadventures likes this
- hughbot likes this
- hikergirl reblogged this from fatchance and added:
- hikergirl likes this
- james-the-analoger likes this
- hashitaka likes this
- fatchance posted this